Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The "Good-doers"

A car conversation brought to mind the "Season of the Good-Doers".  Please do not interpret this as a criticism of those who help others.  It's more a commentary on being a thoughtful giver.  The school secretary was a kind, happy person who was rather direct in speaking her thoughts.  She coined the phrase "the good-doers".

Our school consisted mainly of families who lived at or below the federal poverty level.  In many ways, the poverty was one of spirit as well as financial.  At Christmas, we would be flooded with calls from organizations that wanted to help by providing gifts for the kids.  I wasn't certain how to orchestrate the whole process, so group by group I will relate the story.

There was the wealthy suburban church that wanted to provide a gift for each child.  I asked them to purchase books for reading for the kids.  That went over like a lead balloon, but I persisted and won.  The teachers developed lists of fun books for the students to have in the classroom.  Of course, then I dealt with the few teachers who listed some book out of print that they loved as a kid and were certain that our urban kids would love.  I didn't learn to review the lists (in my spare time) until I would get phone calls saying the giver couldn't find the book.  Some people would give up and give gift cards, so the teachers would have to do the shopping (in their spare time!)

Of course, after the first year, I did ask the teachers to type the lists because I ended up retyping quickly scribbled lists that were rushed to make the deadline.  I am not in any way criticizing this giving practice.  We got some great books for the children and they were able to take them home at the end of the year.  But (and isn't there always one?) the church people required that we go out to their church and pick the gifts up.  It was probably a 50 minute drive from my home.  We did it - for the kids.

1 comment:

The Old Man said...

This is great blog fodder. I figure it'll take you about 42 years to share all of the stories....