Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Juy 4th - a slice of Americana

I remember taking a class in "Principal School" called "School Climate".  I got it.  Essentially it was about supporting the culture of your school and it had nothing to do with race or ethnicity.  It had everything to do with HOW THINGS WERE DONE!!!!  Amazing, how differently things are done depending on where you live - in this country!

My first experience with people 'doing things differently' was when I attended a wake for the brother of the custodian of our school.  I walked into the funeral home to see most of the family dressed in jeans and jean jackets.  My little Irish Catholic heart shook.  Jeans at a wake?  The deceased was also dressed in jeans attire.  Wow, people really did that?  Our practice had always been church attire for wakes.  How presumptuous of me.

A different wedding consumed my attention on the 4th of July.  Now I am a woman who came of age during the 60s, so I should not have blinked, but, somehow I have returned to my more conservative roots . The pretty bride wore white.  The dress was cut short in front with a longer train in the back; she wore brown cowboy boots, and a red, white, and blue veil with silver, blue, and red stars on it.  I was so star struck, I missed the bouquet.

The groom's father roamed around during the brief ceremony, packing a weapon by the way, and laughingly saying  "I object" to the minister's query"....speak now or forever hold your peace."  No matchy, matchy for the wedding party.  Each girl wore whatever she wanted.  The first girl garnered some nervous attention.  I swear she was a 65DD, she had a strapless dress on and was continually placing her body parts back into the dress!  I saw probably $100,000.00 worth of tattoos, mostly large, some colorful- there was everything from religious symbols to words and everything in between.

Why am I telling the reader all of this?  I related my experience to my spouse when I arrived home.  His response - priceless and true-  "so you have just experienced a slice of Americana."

My observations:  everyone had a great time.  There were no long faces, there was a great deal of laughter.  The food - all home cooked- was delicious.  Kids ran around as kids do in a hall, families chatted.  The elderly mixed easily with the youth - and the school personnel? Well, we all looked like a table full of stiff necked teachers!!!  The stereotype lives!

2 comments:

The Old Man said...

The important thing is that a good time was had by all - including the teaching staff.

ELSaelens said...

It sounds like a great time!! I find myself constantly worried that I will be over dressed or under dressed for an event, however I have yet to actually experience this. If it is any consolation, the guests at this wedding are probably talking about these women that showed up to the wedding in super fancy clothes!! A wise woman once told me "we make our fun where we go" so whether you are over dressed or under dressed you made your fun and had a wonderful time!!!